Monday, October 13, 2008

Science Plans beyond 5th grade

Given that Coffee Man is a Professor of Chemistry, you'd think I would have this all figured out...but alas, I do not. My task for the evening is to re-read the WTM suggestions for science, consider what some friends (virtual and actual) may be doing in their homeschools, and begin to narrow down the plans.

My main concern is Sweet Pea (age 10) who is a science enthusiast, but who sometimes works so slowly through her daily tasks that she is left with precious little time to conduct experiments and delve into scientific discovery of any kind.

So far, we have studied Astronomy on our own with library books in 1st grade (after leaving public school in February), Human Body & basic Botany studies in 2nd grade (again using library books), Noeo Physics I in 3rd grade, which she loved loved loved, and 4th grade was a light year of science with Apologia Zoology 1 (flying creatures). It was a light year because Cupcake began formal school with us which altered the schedule a bit, and we began using TOG for the first time, AND we joined a co-op. Science, unfortunately, was a casualty in that mix, though we did enjoy what we were able to find time for.

This year in 5th grade, we are using Apologia Zoology 2 (swimming creatures) and it's going well, with dh's help. I do seem to feel that the general course planning year to year is going to be mine to tackle, even if he takes on the burden of actual instruction.

That said, what's next? To me, the glaring gap is Chemistry. And if that's not ironic, well then I don't know what is! Sure, the kiddos get some random chem lessons here and there in the kitchen and around the house, but actual focused study of atoms & molecules? Hmmm... To add confusion to the mix, our co-op, while TOG based, also offers some afternoon science. We jumped in last week to see what they are doing and they use Apologia General Science but are finishing up LAST year's studies still, so they are nearly done. Then what? So many of these families have older kids that I don't think I want to get tied up in planning what's best for them and just following along.

If we go with Chemistry, then what program?? Back to Noeo? God's Design for Chemistry? Real Science 4 kids? I just don't know... Does Chemistry fit into my long-range plans for Sweet Pea in middle school and beyond? Do I even need those plans yet?

More purposeful planning is my goal. SO, off to WTM I go to review logic-stage science recs. Perhaps I will return with insights... if you find yourself reading to this point and you have a thought, then by all means, do share. :)

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

When you figure it out let me know-hehe. :)
We're starting chemistry in January and I had originally planned to use Christian Kids Explore Chemistry but now I am thinking of using God's Design for Chemistry instead. I'll be using it for all three of them.
There are just so many good choices out there.

Melissa said...

Well then I'll keep an eye on what you're doing too! These are programs I'm looking at but jsut can't decide. Also thinking about designing my own. Hmmm...so many options!!

Thanks for weighing in!

Ruskin said...

We love Ellen McHenry's the Elements and then Carbon Chemistry. They are suitable for grades four right up to nine. They are fantastic and cover a great deal in a very hands-on way! I have links on my blog and reviews.