Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekly Report

We have been back to school work since January 5th but haven't had a really solid week...yet. So I'll summarize these two weeks in one post. So much is going on!!!

BIG NEWS FIRST: Munchkin is home from private Montessori preschool, for good! This has been wonderful and she has adjusted remarkably well! She loves doing math, reading with Phonics Pathways, practicing her Bob books with us, and writing. The one drawback I've noticed is that the added element of an excited 5yo in the mix means I haven't so much as snapped a photo of the kids and their work. I'm so disappointed that I don't even have a photo of Munchkin's first day. (sigh) Ah well, we'll take some pics this week and report more about her activities next time.

Math: Sweet Pea is improving with BJU math and is diligently working through division practice. Before Christmas, we spent a week reviewing concepts and making corrections in her work to be sure she was ready to move on. BJU has been a focus lately so we let up on that after several days and made the switch to RS Geometry, which we usually do in 2-week cycles. She loves geometry and it comes so naturally to her. Gives us all a relaxing math experience. I'm so glad we decided to do this! Cupcake continues through RS Math with great ease & success. Not much to report here except that she loves it and is whizzing through subtraction practice.

Science: Over the break, while Dad is more accessible, Science picks up a bit. They read a lot from Zoology 2 recently, with their favorite part being about fish. We have a 90 gal. salt water aquarium so fish study is a breeze, and now we all understand our fish even better than we did before! The girls are also working on their ocean box which is looking great! We spent some time painting creatures made in late fall, and making new ones as well.

Grammar: Sweet Pea is working through R&S and finds that it comes incredibly easy to her, which is a blessing. I credit FLL 1/2 to her solid foundational understanding, and I see that we will likely have a similar experience with Cupcake who is in FLL 1/2 right now and moving right along through it easily.

Latin: Huh? Latin? Oh right...we haven't touched this since Decemeber (sigh). They love it though so it will be easy to jump back in.

Memory work: Fortunately, our Latin vocabulary is included in this so we haven't lost any ground. Every day the girls have a few items that are considered independent daily work and memory work is one of them. They simply get the box and do the day's work. Scripture memory is included, as well as Latin.

TOG: Our co-op's Unit Celebration was in November and I think I haven't even posted about that! Yikes. Anyway, when we break from co-op, we put our TOG studies on partial hold. This frees us up to really jump into more science and other learning activities that we feel pressed for time on during co-op season. Right now we are studying WWII and their heavier reading and studying schedule will pick up on Monday, so not much to report yet.

Reading: Even without TOG lit assignments, the girls have been doing lots of reading. Sweet Pea is enjoying Journey to the Center of the Earth and Cupcake is giggling through How to Eat Fried Worms. Just for fun. :)

Writing: In addition to our TOG and co-op writing, our local library is running a 6 week program for homeschoolers about writing stories. We are giving it a try since the participating families are all friends. The first session was fun, so I think 5 more weeks will be worth it. We don't really include creative story writing in our home program so it's a bit of an experiment.

I know it's boring with no photos but I really wanted to document the weeks' work, even if just for myself. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I enjoyed reading about your week! Exciting news about your PK dd!

I am in the same boat as you with Latin. We finally got back to it on Friday of this week after no lessons since before x-mas. Yowch!

Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

We haven't had a solid week either, I just haven't found a good groove since Christmas break. There's always next week, right?!

Your 2 weeks look really good though. Science sounds fun at your house. That's one we're having problems with at the moment.