Actually, I am the most involved I've ever been, but it's the most exhausting election season ever...the debating, discussing, researching, and dare I say a bit of arguing, have left me kind of sick of it all. But even so, I can't look away! I can't stop listening to the new bits of information! Help! :)
A friend from high school has sent me information about Obama and though I tried to just hit delete, I couldn't. The email called my name from the inbox. Reply. No, don't. Just reply, you know you want to. No, just don't go there. If he's going to email you directly with a plug, then you have the right--no, the obligation--to reply. But what if he knows more than you and after you reply he sends a an intellectual and articulate rebuttal? You'll never know if you don't reply.
And so the voices in my head dueled for a while and it happened. I replied. After hitting send I panicked...and waited. Now, after a few emails back and forth, a hearty discussion of some serious topics, and some disagreements, I have to say I'm glad I replied. I respect him more than ever before, and truly appreciate his willingness to stick his neck out for his candidate. And so, I will too. I am voting for John McCain & Sarah Palin and I have never been so sure of anything before. Emailing with my friend allowed me to confirm my own beliefs, defend my positions, and really define myself. I highly recommend spirited debate with friends who disagree with you to their core. It's refreshing and affirming. It's energizing. It's better than taking a vitamin or drinking strong coffee. I wish I had more friends as committed to Obama as my friend from Berkeley because I'd like to do it again.
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment