Saturday, November 1, 2008

Butternut, Acorn, & Pumpkin, oh my!

These are a few of my favorite things!!!

(sorry--we watched the beginning of The Sound of Music tonight and now my head is spinning with musical tunes!)

Anyway, today was the last day for veggie pick-up at our CSA--it will be hard to wait til next spring to begin again. Today, among other things, we got 2 more butternut squash, 2 more acorn squash, and a bag of apples. When we got home, I was just itchin' to cook something...and those that know me must wonder if I am ill when I say I want to cook! :)

I put the acorn & butternut in our breezeway for cool safe-keeping, and headed to the front steps to get 2 of the 4 sugar pumpkins that we got on a preschool field trip a couple weeks ago. Why? I saw a how-to on Pioneer Woman's site for pumpkin puree. Couldn't resist. I did it like she said, saved seeds for roasting tomorrow, saved seeds to dry and plant, and froze bags of fresh puree. Saved one cup for a fresh loaf of pumpkin bread on the spot--yum! Sweet Pea made some pie crust for a mini pumpkin pie (she's the only one who really loves this). Other crusts she made in this batch will be used for apple pies soon.

So, with orange stuff all over the kitchen, I pulled out two butternut and began making my new favorite soup as of a few weeks back when we got our first butternut from the CSA. Now I'm addicted. With ginger & curry in the recipe, it just can't be beat. We started a bread in the bread machine and I made a double-batch of soup for dinner. More orange stuff headed to the freezer. :)

Also on Pioneer Woman, I saw a decadent recipe for acorn squash with heart-stopping amounts of butter, syrup, & brown sugar included! That's on the docket this week to be sure!

Tomorrow we'll enjoy pumpkin bread with cream cheese, toasted seeds by day's end, and probably leftover soup & bread lunch! This is the life!

I love fall!!

3 comments:

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Hey there! Got your comment, thanks!
RE:your comment about Rye, NH...please email me (there's a link on my page)...it would be interesting to know if you had family in Rye.
Your blog is great! I'll definitely have to check back.
Katrina

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog :) I also enjoyed reading yours! It's so great to share our weeks like this. You had asked about Drawing with Children....it's not a very concise program, in my opinion. I am using it because I am very limited in resources and it was available at our library. It requires a bit of reading and letting the information settle in you, first, before you can teach it to your kids. I think for us, for now, it's working because you don't need a lot of materials, and it seems to be a good starting point for us. I am not sure if there is more to it than the book I have, but since it's all I've got, I am making a way with it :) I hope that helps! :) Enjoy your day!

Rhonda said...

Oh, my goodness-Yum! :)
That all sounds so wonderful. I love all of those things-squash, pumpkins, you name it.
I love pumpkin bread-that will be something you can enjoy all week long if it lasts that long.