Monday, March 3, 2008

Back to school...

Technically, last week was "vacation" week with our youngest home from preschool, according to their winter break. Inevitably, this means we're ALL on vacation or else I just get frustrated trying to have a normal school day with a 4 yr. old wanting to play with her sisters instead of on her own alongside us. But since we take so many other days off along the way, I hate to take a full week of no school, and so I had big plans. However, this got tossed out the window when Munchkin & I got sick. We recovered all week with the older two were left to their own and got the vacation they always wanted anyway! Oh well...

After 3 days of being in a medicated haze, we finally got to enjoy some science readings and we got to the business of bird watching. The girls' bird models are now done, baked, and ready for display and they are quite cute! With all this behind us, today it was on to new topics and back to the more normal routine of our school day, including Bible reading, piano practice, Italic pages, memory work, (these are the 4 daily items we start with) followed by math lessons, grammar, writing projects, and history reading. We have co-op on Wednesday so we have some special assignments to prepare in time for that.

Sweet Pea has a final copy of a King's Feast story to prepare for her writing class (for which I am the teacher), as well as an oral presentation for history class about the "collapse of the Union at the start of the Civil war." Cupcake has completed her history collage about the causes of the war, as well as a coloring of soldiers, and a little writing about the word Emancipation for a class alphabet book about the war. We chose and printed a picture to go with her research from the internet, which she loves doing. For writing class, they are discussing Psalm 148 this semester and preparing writing each week about various topics within that. This week was about weather (in verse 7 I think) and she was assigned Fire. We enjoyed a couple great library books, wrote a paragraph and prepared an illustration to go with it. She loved this project and is excited to know that the teacher is planning to make a book of their work by semester's end.

Not a bad day for post-vacation brains! We're looking forward to milder weather this week and some more time outdoors! Sunshine does the Momma a world of good. I truly thank God for the blessing of longer days that come with spring.

No comments: